THE ENGLISH HOLLY

Photo by Davideño, taken from panoramio.com

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”


Welcome to the English Holly (el acebo), the English department blog in Siles, welcome to your blog.


lunes, 19 de marzo de 2012

LONG LIVE "LA PEPA"


We are celebrating this year the Bicentennial of the first Spanish Constitution, the Constitution of 1812, known popularly as la Pepa since it was promulgated in Cadiz on St. Joseph’s day, 19th March 1812. Joseph’s name is familiarly known in Spanish as Pepe, the female is Pepa and the Constitution is feminine in Spanish.

The very common expresion of "viva la Pepa", which was formerly used by the liberals to refer to the Constitution, can be translated into English as LONG LIVE LA PEPA!!

As circumstances have changed, the meaning of the expression has also changed and it may be used in this time of economical recession to describe a situation in which everything is allowed, no matter if it is corruption,waste or irresponsibility.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario