THE ENGLISH HOLLY

Photo by Davideño, taken from panoramio.com

“Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.”


Welcome to the English Holly (el acebo), the English department blog in Siles, welcome to your blog.


jueves, 10 de noviembre de 2011

Big Bang Theory fuels physics boom

Adapted from The Guardian.co.uk/The Observer
Big Bang Theory
The Big Bang Theory attracted more than 500,000 viewers on its return to Channel 4. Photograph: Channel 4
A cult US sitcom (situation comedy) has emerged as the latest factor behind a remarkable resurgence of physics among university students.
The Big Bang Theory, a California-based comedy that follows two young physicists, is being credited with consolidating the growing appetite among teenagers for the once unfashionable subject of physics.
One pupil, Tom Whitmore, 15, from Brighton, admitted that Big Bang Theory had contributed to his decision, with a number of classmates, to consider physics at A-level, and in causing the subject to be regarded as "cool". "The Big Bang Theory is a great show and it's definitely made physics more popular.

A Twitter debate on whether Big Bang Theory had played a role in encouraging more potential physicists provoked mixed reactions. PhD student Tim Green wrote: "I'd say it's more to do with economics and good science docs than sitcoms with only the vaguest relation to physics." Markela Zeneli said: "I think the show is hilarious, and it may make physicists seem nerdy and geeky, but what's so bad about that? "

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario